The Red, White, and Blue

The Red, White, and Blue
God Bless America

Search This Blog

Monday, June 23, 2008

Students using internet for school.

Hey all, I hope that the weekend went well. We live in an era when the internet serves many purposes to many individuals, but I wonder if it is too cozy though?
Most students along with professional use the internet when they are conducting research. Why look through a bunch of library cards when you can find what you need with the click of a mouse. An article on the Scotman.com addresses how too many students are using facts they find on Wikipedia for their school work. According to the article about 6% of Internet users mainly use Wikipedia as a credible source of information. Scotland is attempting to get students to use more reliable sources such books, newspaper articles, etc. All newspapers have some political bias for the most part so how reliable can they be.
I want to know if the Internet has grown so big that individuals aren’t able to distinguish fact from fiction, or is it more convenience to use information from the first site found when googling a subject. Also, does the vast amount of articles available impact how much students actually research important topics in school? I always used the Internet for school since it’s quite accessible, but I never believed everything that I found written on sites like Al Gore’s claim to have invented the Internet himself. James.

2 comments:

Anonymous said...

I am a college student that uses the Internet quite frequently for research, but my classmates and I have been told to try and avoid Wickapedia because of its inaccuracies. Instead, we do research through our library's Web site, which you have to go through on my college Web site by the way, and you can find articles from Newsweek, U.S.A. Today, which could be considered biased since they are national newspapers, and other random magazines, such as Good Housekeeping. However, if I am not satisfied with what with what I find, I still look it up at the library.But you're right, Internet is easier, you just got to know how to use it properly.

Sourav Verma said...

I completely agree with you. Internet is used for everything nowadays like shopping, entertainment, research, papers, homework, etc. I am a college student and i use the internet a lot as well. The main reason behind people using the internet to a large extent is the conveniency. It is very convenient and quick. But, however using sources like the library, books, articles can lead to a more accurate results. Also in college every student is charged a certain amount of fee each year to have acces to the library, then why not use it. But, you are absolutely right about the excessive use of internet with class and other educational puposes.